My name is Patches, and like most mutts, my sense of smell is a thousand times keener than any human’s. So when I get a whiff of something nasty in the woodshed, I can’t help myself from digging up the dirt.
Case in point: More than a few Contra Costa County Republicans have been grumbling lately about the sorry state of the Contra Costa GOP under the lone wolf leadership of Tom Del Beccaro, Esq. While Chairman Del Beccaro will brow beat anyone he can bully into a corner about increased Republican turnout for the Governor’s ill-fated ballot fiasco, he fails to address the more important bones of contention, including but not limited to:
- the much-touted “increased” turnout was lower in comparison to statewide trends
- the unforgivable loss of Richard Pombo’s Congressional seat (CD-11) despite a clear Republican registration edge
- the decline of Republican registration overall during his tenure as Chair
- questionable staffing decisions including Del Beccaro’s personal selection of the young and inexperienced Executive Directoress
- the lack of discernable profit from the much ballyhooed speaker series
- the rumored inability to scrape together the down payment for the venue and caterer for the local party’s annual Red White and Blue Ball.
- questionable reporting procedures including unreported in-kind value of donated auction items
- questions about the payment and use of “Bounty” money paid for voter registration
- failure to produce meaningful financial statements
The list, as they say, goes on.
Not that Del Beccaro hasn’t been busy, lately. His new book, a sophomoric rehash of Reaganesque principles, has been tentatively released to inauspicious reviews by anyone other than his book-tour scheduler and the well-wishes of hot-talk radio personalities. Meanwhile his website breathlessly touts self-important, minor-league punditry concerning national presidential campaign strategies like some obnoxious Anne Coulter high on inside dope.
Yet, while pushing his own agendas at the state and national party levels, Del Beccaro has forgotten Tip O’Neill’s wisdom that, “All Politics Is Local.”
Instead of local voter registration drives, Del Beccaro, has demonstrated more concern over turning his celebrity status as California’s #2 Republican and Chair of CoCo County’s GOP Central Committee into a statewide book signing tour.
Instead of developing prospective local Republican candidates, Del Beccaro has become a laughable Max Bialystock shamelessly shaking down Republican women of a certain age out of their precious time and resources for yet another electoral flop.
And somehow the County GOP leadership remained silent during the recent debate concerning Contra Costa County’s fiscal crisis; missing a perfect opportunity to translate Republican Principles into local action against profligate spending by County government. Instead of organizing opposition to the County’s OPEB debt that grows by a million dollars a day; the County GOP left the heavy lifting to the Grand Jury and the local Taxpayers’ group.
Any non-profit or local party organization whose board is dominated by hand-picked sycophants that can’t manage an out-of-control Chairperson or supervise a weak Executive Director is bound for trouble. The Contra Costa GOP oozes poor governance, negligent oversight, and lousy performance. Republicans can no longer afford to let the Contra Costa County GOP be the current Chair’s personal plaything. Republicans, Contra Costa Taxpayers, our Commonwealth, as well as those truly in need of legitimate County services, all deserve better.